23.3.13

The suffering leading to freedom


"I remember when I first arrived at my teacher Ajahn Chah’s monastery, he looked at me and said, “I hope you’re not afraid of suffering.” I replied, “What do you mean? I came here to meditate and find inner peace and happiness.”

He explained: “There are two kinds of suffering, the suffering we run from because we are unwilling to face the truth of life, and the suffering that comes when we’re willing to stop running from the sorrows and difficulties of the world. The second kind of suffering will lead you to freedom.”

(Jack Kornfield, "Bringing Home the Dharma")


"Je me souviens quand je suis arrivé la première fois au monastère de mon maître Ajahn Chah, il m'a regardé et il m'a dit, "J'espère que tu n'as pas peur de souffrir." J'ai répondu, "Que voulez-vous dire ? Je suis venu ici pour méditer et trouver la paix et le bonheur."

Il m'expliqua : "Il y a deux types de souffrance, la souffrance que nous fuyons parce que nous nous sentons incapables d'affronter la vérité de la vie, et la souffrance qui vient quand on est disposé à arrêter de fuir la tristesse et les difficultés du monde. Le deuxième type de souffrance te mènera à la liberté."

(Jack Kornfield, "Bringing Home the Dharma")

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire